Monday, October 27, 2008

Strong Tower


I'm reading Psalms this week, and every time I read these soothing words, I find comfort in knowing that God is sovereign. In a time of trouble and crisis, King David cried out to God and he depended on Him for his safety. So many times in the psalms, David referred to God as his "rock," "refuge," and "a strong fortress." I believe David was in danger and in battles so many times more than one could count. He certainly knew who to turn to and who to trust.

At present, we are facing an economic crisis, jobs reduction, and probably a recession. We live in an uncertain time of terrorism and wars. We are nervous about who will be our next president---will this person lead America to greatness or destruction? Will he hold and support our dear values and preserve them? In a time like this, we need to pray and ask for God's leading. Like King David, as God's people, we need God's shield and guidance.

I'm including Psalms 27 and 28 here because they are so relevant to us.

The Lord is my light and my salvation
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life
of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear

Psalm 28 says:

Praise be to the Lord,
for he has heard me cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.

One of my favorite songs from a Christian rock band, Newsboys, is called "Strong Tower." It really gives me a clear picture of God as our Great Protector, whom we can trust in time of need. It is such an inspiring song. I keep it playing in my CD player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRvQGYnMjBk

Have a blessed week!

No comments: