Saturday, October 4, 2008

It is (NOT) Hard to Say I'm Sorry




Have you ever had a song played in your head and its crazy tunes stuck in your brain forever? When I was young, I heard this popular song, Hard to Say I'm sorry, from Chicago repeatedly from our radio. Before I knew it, I started to sing along at the top of my lungs. It was about a guy whose girlfriend was leaving him. This poor man found out that he couldn't live without her but at the same time it was hard for him to say he was sorry for what he had done to her.

Often in our Christian life, we hurt somebody, act inappropriately, or judge wrongly. We do not exactly live in God's will, but we are too proud or too ashamed to say that we are sorry about what we've done. However, the bible is all about being humble and repenting of your sins. Saying that you are sorry to God and to your friends and turning your life around are noble characteristics of a Christian. It is an act that pleases God. The bible says in 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I know that repentance is not a popular topic to discuss among Christians. Most Christians tend to think that repentance is only for non-believers, and as for them, it's a one time thing that took place when they received Christ. But repenting should be our state of mind, something that we practice daily as long as we live on this earth. Peter says this so eloquently in 1 Peter 5:5, "clothe yourselves with humility toward one another." James teaches us to"confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed" (James 5:16).

Did you hurt somebody that you love? Did a loving Christian brother or sister try to tell you to change something that is wrong in your life but you came up with long excuses? Did you take feedback well from your family or from your pastor? Today, instead of trying to defend yourself, listen to what they say, turn around, and say to them, "I'm sorry. You are right and I'm wrong. Will you forgive me?" I believe that you will build a better, stronger relationship when you say you are sorry.

No comments: