Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Friend For Life

I have the most wonderful friend in the whole world. I believe what I am today and what I have become is the result of the friendship that I shared with my friend, Tan, when we were in college back in Thailand.

I remember when I first knew her, my world was brightened. Suddenly, classes were not that boring and I had the new motivation to show up and learn. At that time, my self esteem was pretty low. I was about two years younger than my classmates and the university I attended was one of the best in Thailand. I was thrown into a sea of the brightest and the coolest students who did not know me and probably did not care to know about me. I was afraid; in fact, I was frightened. But, oh, how Tan's presence brought me comfort. After class, we shared precious time eating delicious supper in the school's cafeteria, which was near a soothing river. We dug our heads into old, dusty books and made a corner of the library our home. We had a great adventure taking trips outside Bangkok together. Tan is an adventurous type, and I couldn't resist her. The moment that I will never forget is when a male classmate teased me and mocked at my leg (I contracted a polio virus when I was two and it weakened my left leg and made me walk with a slight limp). I was deeply upset. Tan was there at a bus stop to comfort me and cheer me up. She even tried to take the same bus with me even though her home was on the other side of Bangkok.

There was time that I doubted her loyalty to me. We had an argument, and I hurt her feelings. But Tan always forgave me. Not only that, she always encouraged me to write, to pursue my dream of being a writer. I kept on writing today because of her.

After college, career and a busy life separated us, but we continue bonding through long-distance phone calls and e-mails. Still like in the old days, Tan listened to my thoughts, my dreams, my goals, and sometimes my frustration with great patience. She came up with positive feedback with a good sense of humor.

I believe God gave me a good friend like Tan to laugh with, to cry with, and to bring me through difficult time. I am not sure I would ever graduate from college if it hadn't been for her encouragement. The bible is right. 1 Corinthians Chapter 13 says, "love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." I have learned the meaning of love and true friendship from my sweet friend who shares her life with me.

****************************************
To read Tan's musings on life, nature, Thai food, cultures, and different perspectives, visit her unique blog, The Intercultural Life.

No comments: