Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Gentlemanly Savior




In my life, I have never met anyone who is as kind as Jesus Christ. Jesus' kindness amazed me and radically changed me. I remember seven years ago when I perused my newly purchased bible with great curiosity, trying to find out who Jesus Christ really was. I was alone in the quiet apartment in one late afternoon. Kneeling down on the floor, I kept reading the bible until I came across this scene about the arrest of Jesus on the Mount of Olives (Luke 22:47-51). On that important day, a band of armed soldiers came to arrest Jesus. One of Jesus' followers stepped forward and struck the servant of the High Priest with a sword. It must have been a gruesome sight with blood dripping, the cry of that servant, the pain, and the shock. I imagined everyone present expected the worst to happen. Maybe an ugly fight that left many dead. However, with His great mercy and kindness, Jesus simply said, "No more of this!" And He touched the man ear and healed him.

Can you imagine healing your enemy who is trying to murder you? Have you ever seen anyone so forgiving and kind? Later, Jesus was badly tortured, whipped, and scorched. The soldiers crucified Him on the cross and mocked Him with rude insults. But Jesus prayed for them and said, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."

I knew a Thai pastor whose life was touched by what Jesus said on the cross in Luke 23:34 and consequently prayed to receive Jesus as his Savior. The pastor said that if anyone could forgive this much, He must be God! Well, after I read and reread the bible, I did the same thing. I cried out to Jesus, "Lord, I'm sorry. I didn't know that you are God." I repented of my sins and invited Jesus into my life. Things have never been the same since!

Jesus is so kind and so polite. He is the gentlemanly Savior. Read about Him and find out by yourself what kind of person He is. Jesus said, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me." (Revelation 3:20). He is waiting to come into your heart and be your friend. Will you open the door and let Him in?

No comments: